Finchville – Country Ham Canapes
Baumgartner’s – Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 pound of black-eyed peas (or you can substitute Great Northern beans)
- 2 small smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone or 2 slices of ham
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper (minced)
- ½ green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 dashes of hot sauce (you can vary)
- ½ t of pepper (more or less)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of salt (ham will provide some salt flavor)
- 2 green onions (optional)
- 2 slices (cut up) of uncooked bacon
- Soak beans overnight (or at least for a couple of hours).
- In a large kettle (or crock pot) combine all ingredients with enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.