Penn – Ideas for Cooked Country Ham
Hamery – Fried Cured Ham Slices
Baked Whole Ham
1) Trim off about 1/8″ of lean, fat, and skin from the face and sides of ham, or until fresh meat is exposed.
2) Saw off about 2″ of the hock, 1″ of the butt, and cut off aitch bone.
3) Soak ham in cool water for several hours (2-3)
4) Place ham in an oven cooking bag with one quart of water. Tie bag securely so the water will rise half way up the ham. Do not puncture bag.
5) Place ham on a rack in a shallow uncovered pan with the fat side (skin side) up so the ham will baste itself.
6) Roasting time is 30 minutes per pound of ham at 200 Degrees F. However it is recommended to use a meat thermometer and cook until the internal temperature reaches 155 Degrees.
7) Glaze if desired.
8) Cool before slicing.