Col. Bill Newsom’s Sunday Noon Meal
Col. Bill Newsom’s Vidalia Onion and Peppercorn Dressing
Col. Bill Newsom’s Aged Kentucky Country Ham
DINNER • Thinly sliced Newsom’s boiled country ham (recipe) • Southern Corn Pudding(recipe) • Brocolli Casserole • Cranberry salad(recipe) • Hot yeast rolls or bake n’ serve • Hot coffee or Iced Tea
Recipe: Boiled country ham (whole ham recipe required to obtain thin slices)
1. Soak ham overnight in cold water, if hard or aged a year or more. For moister meat or for two year old hams, soak for two nights, changing water in between, then applying new water before cooking.
2. Clean ham with warm water and a bristle brush.
3. Place cleaned ham in large container and completely cover with water. Add 1 cup brown sugar or molasses and 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.
4. Bring to a rolling boil for one hour, reduce heat where water just breaks a bubble. Simmer approximately 20 minutes per pound or until meat thermometer reaches 170 degrees; When hock bone begins to shake loose, cut off heat and allow the ham to cool overnight in the stockpot. This allows the ham to have moisture return to it.
5. Skin cooled ham, leaving some fat on it to preserve moisture. Now, you may use your favorite glaze, or eat as is. Frankly, I feel the ham needs nothing more as its flavor will not be enhanced further by application of the glaze. The glaze is for presentation upon the dinner table only.
NOTE: Ham may be cooked in oven in deep pan or roaster with a couple inches water with top on. Simmer. Do not boil this method. NOTE ALSO that Newsom’s Boiled Country Ham need only be served at room temperature as this allows the maximum flavor to strike through. Thin slicing is better. Remember to cut cross grain in a circular fashion, starting around the tapered end of the ham.
Recipe: Southern Corn Pudding • 2 cans Del Monte Creamed Corn • 1/3 cup milk • 2 eggs, beaten • 3 tablespoons sugar • 10 singlel squares crackers • dash of pepper • Crushed crackers for topping (optional)
Mix all ingredients together.
Pour into a greased casserole dish.
Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
Cranberry Salad • 1 large cream cheese • 2 tablespoons miracle whip • 1 can chunk pineapple • 2 tablespoons sugar • 1 can whole cranberry sauce • 1 cup chopped pecans, optional • 1 carton cool whip, optional • 1 cherry jello • Serves 10 • Blend together cream cheese and miracle whip. Set aside. Mix cherry jello with drained pineapple juice. Add both mixtures together. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Freeze.
HAM FRIED RICE IS AN EXCELLENT OPTION- AS WELL AS THE KY HOT BROWN, AND COUNTRY HAM SALAD RECIPES, ALL IN OUR RECIPE FOLDER RECEIVED UPON ARRIVAL OF YOUR NEWSOM’S COUNTRY HAM.