Col. Bill Newsom’s Aged Kentucky Country Ham
FRIED KENTUCKY COUNTRY HAM
1. Slice ham about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Trim off hard outer edge of meat and remove rind. DO NOT TRIM FAT. This adds flavor, and no other fat will be needed.
3. Fry in large heavy skillet, turning lean away from hottest point of skillet.
4. Fry slowly. Do not over fry. This will make ham hard, dry and tough. Turn slices often. Ham is usually done when fat is transparent and beginning to brown.
5. For milder or less salty taste, soak in lukewarm water or sweet milk for up to 30 minutes before frying.