Burgers’ – Homemade Biscuits
Burgers’ – Country Ham Cornbread
Aunt Margaret’s Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake with an icing recipe is always a favorite recipe at family gatherings. This coffee cake recipe comes from our aunt’s kitchen. You would not believe how wonderful this cake tastes and smells.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3 eggs
- 8 cups flour
- Pre-Heat Oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dissolve 1 and 1/2 packages of yeast in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water.
- Scald 2 cups milk.
- To the milk, add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup butter and 1 teaspoon of salt, and 3 beaten eggs and mix it up well.
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast/water mixture. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Add 8 cups of flour and mix well.
- Pour mixture on a floured pastry board and knead until elastic.
- Return to a large floured mixing bowl and allow to rise until it is about double in size.
- Transfer to 9 in. baking pans – let rise again (letting it rise twice is very important!)
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and serve when baked completely.
- Icing Ingredients: 4 tablespoons butter 2 cups powdered sugar 2 to 4 tablespoons milk (or hot water, for desired consistency) 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Icing Instructions: Melt the butter in a saucepan, or in a bowl or cup in the microwave. Sift 2 cups of powdered sugar into a medium-size bowl. Add the melted butter, 2 tablespoons of milk or hot water, and the vanilla to the powdered sugar; stir to blend. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, adding a little more milk or hot water if necessary. Drizzle the finished glaze over the cooled cake.